[philthy’s note: take 2 minutes to watch this and feel good about your world.]
A builder has been praised after he resuscitated a child who had collapsed and stopped breathing while out shopping with her mother in Australia.
CCTV footage shows two-year-old Shaylar’s mother, Amy Collard, carrying her to a counter of a Perth supermarket to plead for help after she had lost consciousness before running outside to find her husband, Michael Narkle.
A couple, including tradesman Rowan O’Neill, can then be seen rushing to help the stricken girl – and fearing she was choking, Mr O’Neill turned her upside down in an effort to revive her.
When Mr Narkle enters the store, he can be seen breaking down before he and Mr O’Neill try to save Shaylar by shaking her, patting her on the back and attempting the Heimlich manoeuvre.
When this fails, Mr O’Neill begins mouth-to-mouth resuscitation – and after 90 seconds the girl opened her eyes, local media said.
The toddler’s parents told A Current Affair they were grateful to Mr O’Neill for saving their daughter’s life.
Ms Collard said: “I thought she was going to die. I’m lucky that he was there.”
“Thank you very much,” Mr Narkle added.
Local TV stations have reported that doctors thought Shaylar’s fever caused her to pass out and she was back at home after one night in hospital.